An examination of issues related to digital equity in education recommends the following five strategies to help make progress toward digital equity:
1. Legitimize the significant role culture plays in students' educational experience.
2. Continue to challenge perceptions about the role of technology in education.
3. Encourage others to recognize the critical link between technology, professional development and classroom practice.
4. Create opportunities for students to access technology outside the classroom.
5. Continue to seek funding for technology in spite of challenges.
International Society for Technology in Education. (2007). A National Consideration of Digital Equity. Salem, OR: ISTE.