Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Education Trust-West. (2012). the cruel divide. Oakland, CA: Author.
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Pew Research Center. (2011). Teens, Kindness and Cruelty on Social Network Sites. Washington, DC: Author.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
The New Jersey Association of School Librarians released findings February 15 of a three-year study, which explored the value of quality school libraries to education in New Jersey. The findings show that New Jersey school libraries and school librarians contribute in rich and diverse ways to improvements in student test scores and increased interest in reading.
Center for International Scholarship in School Libraries. (2012). Princeton, NJ: Rutgers University.
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Will the Common Core State Standards improve student achievement? Not according to a new study out today. The crux of the argument in the report is that there is not much of a connection between standards—even rigorous ones—and student achievement. A 2009 Brookings study that found no connection between the quality of states' standards and their students' NAEP scores. Researcher Loveless examines NAEP scores from 2003 to 2009 and finds no correlation between the quality of states' standards and NAEP gains during that period. Loveless also looks at performance standards, or the "cut points" set for proficiency on states' tests, to examine the argument that the presumed higher cut scores on the future tests for the common standards will help drive better student achievement. Again, he finds that cut scores are unrelated to NAEP performance.
Loveless, T. (2012). How well are American students learning? Washington, DC: Brookings Institution.
Media Awareness Network. (2012). Young Canadians in a Wired World, Phase III: Teachers' Perspective. Ottawa: Author.
• The school library is a learning center linked to classroom instruction;
• The school library supports the school’s mission to produce literate and informed learners who can thrive in a digital, knowledge-based world;
• The school library is a 21st-century classroom that provides an understanding of the information and technology students will confront as digital citizens;
• The school library sets the stage for student-initiated inquiry and
• The school librarian is a co-teacher who undertakes an active role in engaging in shared instruction.
New JerseyCenter for International Scholarship in School Libraries. (2012). The New Jersey Study of School Libraries: One Common Goal — Student Learning. Princeton, NJ: Rutgers,
Sunday, February 5, 2012
California Computing Education Advocacy Network (CCEAN). (2012). In Need of Repair: The State of K-12 Computer Science Education in California